So how does it work:
Write 11 facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked you (in this case, I'll be answering 33).
Tag 11 bloggers with under 200 followers as your nominees.
Read their responses.
11 Facts About Me
- The craziest things happen to me in New York. I have been invited backstage at 2 Broadway shows, for example, and I'm not totally sure how. I think if I'm in any kind of love affair, it's with New York City.
- I drink about a half gallon of milk everyday. My roommate is very concerned about this. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I am keeping osteoporosis at bay.
- I'm one of those people that hates Love, Actually. Sorry, I'm not sorry. It's a terrible, shallow, poorly written, poorly paced film. The few decent factors are the incredible cast and decent music. Upon watching the film for the first time, I realized it was a lot like reading Romeo and Juliet for the first time-- over-hyped as one of the greatest love stories when it's barely even about love at all-- except without the masterful execution of Shakespeare. I actually came out of that movie angry that I had wasted 2+ hours of my life on it. I'm also very angry that they ripped off the intro of Dogma touting some lofty philosophy about love, when really the Kevin James modern Biblical comedy accomplished so much more.
- I won some playwriting awards in high school. During that time, a poem of mine actually made it into a published book, but I refuse to tell anyone what or where, because submissions were taken online, and I wrote it under a ridiculous pseudonym not expecting to be published, and wanting to avoid that "stranger danger" everyone's always on about
- I am the type of person who usually sticks with their favorites at a restaurant. I experience really intense food regret when I order something terrible-- to the point where it will like, almost make me want to cry-- so I typically go with what I know.
- I don't really eat fruit. They taste and feel very off-putting to me. The only fruits I eat are avocados. I also drink a lot of orange juice. I honestly cannot tell you why I can't eat them outside of that. I do however, like broccoli, mushrooms, olives, and artichokes, and have since childhood. This is one instance of a quirk that led to my belief that I was an alien until I was 8 or 9.
- I am super into Robert Herjavec on Shark Tank. I like how he has such a great personality and heart, along with a brilliant business mind. I am probably a little too into him. When I watch the show, along with my brilliant commentary, I often coo over how gorgeous and brilliant and wonderful and perfect Robert is. My roommate has gotten an earful.
- I grew up thinking I was a Ravenclaw, only to realize now that I am totally a Slytherin.
- I have literally described my type as "Woody from Toy Story, but more artistic." I don't even know.
- I experience my emotions on a pretty intense level-- if on a scale of 1-10 a 5 is average, I'm probably at about a 7. That said, I typically deal with them best by externalizing them, and then I get over them and reframe whatever experience pretty positively. Luckily I have a predisposition to be sunny and enthusiastic about most things, so it's not usually an issue, and even when it is, I get over it pretty quickly.
- I legitimately do not believe that people are entitled to my time or my friendship. Those I keep close, I keep close because they matter. Life is too short to waste on people who are just curious and don't actually care about you or your heart. I'm never outright mean to anyone unless they really get in my face about something, but if I don't like someone, I don't hang around them. I make a point to be polite and nothing more. I don't expect everyone to like me, either, and this has kept me out of drama and with the people I truly care for. Some things are beyond forgiveness, and I do not compromise on those things.
11 Questions from Rubi!
- What shows are you addicted to at the moment? Oh god, I pretty much compulsively watch television. Some of the current ones I'm watching either as it happens or a week behind because of Hulu are: Arrow, Super Fun Night, Adventure Time, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Steven Universe, Shark Tank, Community, The Carrie Diaries, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Parks and Rec. Shows on break I'm addicted to and waiting for: Once Upon A Time, The Mindy Project. Shows currently running that I have to wait until the full seasons come out on Netflix because of provider issues: Wilfred, Pretty Little Liars (this is a new thing that happened, and I hate it). I'm also following the webseries Emma Approved, from the group that brought us the Emmy Award-winning webseries, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I have a little bit of a problem, you guys.
- What’s your favorite form of social media (ie Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and why. Twitter is honestly the best social media outlet because it does exactly what it's designed to do. Unlike facebook, it never tries to roll out completely unnecessary features, it is a little less private, so you can branch out more, and it's a great way to get information. I'd say second is probably tumblr, because if its visual, viral nature and its ability to really change thought through long-form prose and poetry whereas twitter limits you to 140 characters.
- If you could travel to any one country, where would you go and why? Spain. I think I would want to brush up on my Spanish and I like places with that feel crazy old.
- What is the favorite thing you’ve ever written. Link it please! I really liked this piece I wrote on cat-calling, and this piece I wrote on why I'm against the use of photoshop on women in magazines.
- What’s your favorite holiday and why? Halloween. I love dressing up and being spooky! It's also a really good night to watch movies, and I love watching movies.
- If you could switch lives with any performer, who would it be? Well, I think it'd be too much pressure to be, like, Beyonce. I think I'd love to be Janelle Monae, because she's so chill and down to earth, and I love her music. I'd also love to be Marina and the Diamonds because she's also crazy amazing. Both Janelle and Marina address power structures that have victimized them both institutionally and socioculturally.
- How do you come up with ideas on what to write about? I honestly don't know. I think I have a hyperactive, wandering mind, so I suppose that kind of helps.
- What are some of your pet peeves? People who chew gum near me. I'mma need you to keep a 5 foot radius from me.
- It’s Friday night, what are you honestly doing? Watching TV Shows on Netflix, maybe a movie. Writing. Contemplating my laundry-- I may or may not do it. Cooking myself dinner. I might possibly be hanging out with some friends in my dorm room.
- Favorite childhood television show. Oh god, when counts as childhood? I'm guessing elementary school and before? In that case... Kim Possible. Sailor Moon was also a really critical component of my childhood. And on the live-action side, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- Can you explain the name of your blog. So back when I was a blog focusing a lot on thrift culture, I was "Thrifty Miss Harper"-- but then I got into college and there was so much more in my life I wanted to talk about. I thought long and hard about a new name that was cute, had my name into, and was easy to remember and didn't limit what I could write about, so the blog could grow as I did. I came up with "Harper Honey", because it was sort of endearing, easy to remember, and also was a play on my love of all things bee-related. I hope to someday learn how to bee-keep as a hobby, kind of like most other people take on gardening or fishing. I like how open-ended Harper Honey is, which makes me feel like I can keep it forever and ever!
11 Questions from Jay
- Where are you from? I'm from the DC-area, and grew up in a Virginia suburb. My family is from Korea, and I think that their having been immigrants really had an impact on my life.
- Why did you start blogging? I can barely remember a time before my blogging. I was blogging in elementary school, messing around with xanga (oh, god, you remember those dark times, don't you?) and freewebs. I think that as a creative person I just had so much inside me, a lot of it kind of dumb and disjointed, but I was trying to find ways of getting it out there. Blogging has always been a good way for me to learn and have some stability.
- Why is your favorite pet your favorite? I really like cats. I think me and dogs are a little too similar in that we are both very excitable and like love all the time. I love dogs but they'd really just encourage me to be all about them. I like cats because they're lower maintenance, and quite honestly I think they suit my sense of humor better. They're also quieter and not as emotionally invested in me. Which kind of takes the pressure off. I think I'd also like to have a bunny-- but I'm allergic to them :(
- What is one movie you know all the lines to? Mean Girls. How can you not?
- What's your "sad" song? (Everyone has a song they listen to when they're sad! lol) OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MANY. "Up All Night" by Best Coast, "A Fleur De Toi" by Vitaa, "In My Veins" by Andrew Belle, and "I Heard Your Voice in a Dream" from Smash. Also pretty much the whole OBCR of Next to Normal.
- Who's life would you trade places with if you could? Oh I don't know. I feel like I'm living a pretty good life. Maybe Elsie Larson of A Beautiful Mess, because she blogs and makes pretty things and her blog is successful enough that she gets to spend her whole life making and sharing pretty things and yummy food!
- What's your "go-to" hairstyle? I just brush my hair out and leave it down. That's about all I can do, ha! I have a lot of really thick hair so it makes styling pretty awful.
- Do you have a guilty pleasure? Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Pretty Little Liars, and fanfiction.
- Why did the chicken cross the road? (No seriously) To get to the other side. Of the mortal plane. Yeah, it's dead.
- When did you have your first kiss? 17? I think? Maybe 16? It was when my first boyfriend asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes.
- Favorite cookie? Peanut Butter!!! Actually, Schmackary's Fluffernutter is one of my faves.
- Why did you start blogging? Eep I answered this above!
- What is your favorite movie? Oh god. I love movies. In my top 5 are Amelie (original French title: L'Destin Fabuleaux D'Amelie Poullain), Peter Pan (The 2003 live-action one), Pleasantville, The Brass Teapot (SO GOOD. LOOK IT UP ON NETFLIX RIGHT NOW!), and Juno
- What’s the last thing you ate? A slice of pizza!
- Ice cream or cake? Red Velvet cake :)
- Who is your role model? Oh man, there are so many wonderful people in this world. I really admire Robert Herjavec as mentioned in my 11 facts. I am really hoping to get a chance to read his books soon! His family left the oppressive communist regime of former Yugoslavia for Canada where he worked a multitude of minimum wage jobs to help support his family. He worked his way through a degree in English Literature and PoliSci. He went on to work in film and was honored at the Sarajevo Olympics as one of the youngest producers of Olympic coverage. Then he started working at his friend's tech start-up, Logiquest, having talked his way in despite being extremely underqualified. He made them an offer he couldn't refuse by offering to work free for the first 6 months, and in that time, he took a night shift waiting tables at a restaurant to make ends meet. He worked his way up to General Manager there, then left to found his own Internet Security company, BRAK Systems which he sold to AT&T Canada in 2000. He retired for 3 years then founded the Herjavec Group, Canada's largest IT Security provider and one of the country's fastest growing IT companies. It's now a multimillion dollar company. Oh, and did I mention he also races cars?
- What was your favorite subject in high school? Chorus! I love singing :) I also really loved Anatomy!
- What’s your favorite song at the moment? Tie the Knot by Jesse McCartney is totally taking over my life. I'm also kind of digging The Wombats' Valentine which is not like, my jam the way Tie The Knot is-- maybe it's the fact that Valentine's Day is around the corner and it's got that British rock vibe I love.
- What’s your most visited website (other than your blog)? Facebook, Twitter, and Gmail. I'm also all about Hulu and Netflix.
- Do you have a hobby? If so, what is it? Writing and singing I guess? Are movies and TV a hobby?
- What is something that you want to learn how to do? Speak Swedish and Norwegian. I'm not even joking.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In New York, hopefully working for Disney.
My 11 Nominees - Please be sure to check out their super cool blogs!
- Jessica - Girl with Panache
- Tracey - Traces of Space
- Katie - WanderStruck Girl
- Becky - Geek Gets Glam
- Chloe - Wanderlust in the Midwest
- Shanice - Eating Clean on a College Budget
- Alli - Enchantette
- Julia Ann - Oh, Julia Ann
- Clara - That Girl Mag
- Ashley - Purple and Pearl
- Erica - Coming Up Roses
- What are your top 5 favorite movies, and why?
- Where do you like to go when you are upset or stressed out? What do you do there?
- If you could live in either a comic book, a romcom, a musical, a crime show, a gothic novel, or a sci-fi series, which would you pick and why?
- In what ways do you hope your blog will grow or change?
- You are on a mystery solving team, similar to the Scooby-Doo gang, with a combination of friends and celebrities. It's you plus 3 other people and an animal side-kick of your choice. Who's on your team?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Tell me about something from your childhood that you still keep (a toy, a book, etc.).
- Do you have any favorite charities or causes?
- Do you stay organized? What are you best at staying on top of, and what are you least organize about?
- What time of the day or night do you have the most energy?
- Tell me 3 regrets you hope to die without.
Connect with me